One of the biggest challenges that dieters have is keeping themselves motivated. Getting motivated and staying there is critical for your diet success. You want to keep your “eyes on the prize” at all times. The more focused you can keep yourself on your motivation: the easier time you’ll have turning down those brownies or other tempting treats. Try our 5 no-fail tips to motivate yourself to diet.
1) Spend time with others that want to lose weight. It is hard staying motivated by yourself. Research has shown that when you are with other people that want to do the same thing and you get support from them – you are much more successful than on your own. So seek out a nonprofit group or traditional weight loss program to cheer you on for success.
2) Set reasonable weight loss goals. Many dieters get impatient and feel they should be losing 5 pounds a week. Healthy weight loss comes at 2 pounds or less every week. You really don’t want to lose more than that – or you risk having it all come back eventually. Set some reasonable weight loss goals to encourage you to get into those shorts by spring or something else that inspires you.
3) Create a reward system that encourages you. This is an ideal way to motivate yourself. Give yourself a reward for every five pounds you lose. Make it something fun that you’ve always wanted. This “carrot on the stick” approach works for many people and is a fun way to treat yourself. Every time you use that MP3 player you give yourself for losing 10 pounds – or whatever other type of treat you give yourself – you are also reminding yourself that you are successful at your diet.
4) Say a weight loss affirmation every day. Affirmations are powerful and can create positive actions in your life. Affirmations are positive phrases about what you would like to see happen. Create an affirmation in the present tense, as if it is already happening. So an affirmation would be “I eat healthy daily” or “Daily I exercise for wellbeing and renewal.” Don’t say “I wish” or “I will” or “I hope.”
5) Develop daily rituals that celebrate your weight loss. Drink green tea every day, which helps to boost your metabolism. Or eat a special tropical fruit that you like. Each of these healthy rituals will make you feel good and keep you connected to the importance of your weight loss and staying motivated.